Facebook. Why do I even bother to visit that damn website anymore?
It's become a habit. I open up Safari and click on Facebook, it's what I've been doing for, what feels like decades of social networking.
In the past week I have seen the death of a marriage, the exposure of a drug addict and the 2 closet come outs, not to mention the countless birth announcements (marriage/commitment announcements seem to be at an all time low on my newsfeed, ironically) and oversharing.
I can't take it anymore. I gotta stop logging in. It's making me feel even shittier about my life. And trust me, that's not an easy thing to do.
A girl I work with who is a year younger than me has basically aired all of her dirty laundry on Facebook, saying that she is divorcing her no good, lazy, broke husband. She got married when she was 19. She became a mother less than a year later. She wasn't physically/emotionally/financially ready for a relationship like that, or motherhood for that matter. Anyone could tell you this. I knew it was going to happen...but I didn't think I would see it play out on Facebook, with all the intimate, messy details on my fucking newsfeed. I feel kind of sick saying these things, I try so hard not to pass judgment on others, but this is my secret blog so whatever!
A girl I used to hang out with in high school decides Facebook is the perfect forum to announce that she is a drug addict. Let me tell you, I totally saw this coming as well. She was the kind of chick who had a new boyfriend every week, and she loved each one as intensely and quickly as the last. Then she started dating this gross guy from my math class who dropped out after repeating the 9th grade 3 times. I saw him not so long after he dropped out, he look terrible, it was obvious he was on drugs. Then she started dating him and she started doing drugs. He moved into her house (she was 16 he was 18 and her mother didn't care apparently) she barely graduated high school and became a full time addict, doing God knows what to pay for it. Then she dumped Gross Drug Dude and hooked up with her usual parade of boyfriends, and now she's 90 days sober.
Lets be clear, I haven't spoken to the girl since 2008. I know all of this crap from Facebook.
Don't you think you might be sharing a bit too much if I can write your entire story like an HBO screenplay, simply going off of your Facebook posts?
Also, pretty much all of my good friends from high school have either had babies, announced pregnancies or came out of the closet. Seriously, we all went to the same health class, we learned about birth control, why the FUCK aren't they using it?
We are all around 22 years old. We shouldn't be bitching on Facebook about how shitty our babies daddies are, or celebrating our release from rehab, or bitching about our next court date.
We should be graduating and starting new productive lives.
Why is this happening to all the people around me? And why do they feel the need to share it ALL on Facebook?
It's just not a fun website to go to anymore, they can play Words With Friends all they want, I'm gonna be on Tumblr following blogs that belong to 14 year olds because they seem to have their shit together.
No comments:
Post a Comment